Exercises: Week 7 Assignment
Use the data in the BlackHills folder and Sturgis83 geodatabase to answer the following questions:
1. The Madison Limestone is an important aquifer. Citizens are concerned about gas or chemical trucks overturning on roads and causing contamination. What is the total length of roads crossing the Madison, in kilometers?
2. The infiltration rate of the geological substrate is a strong factor in evaluating the spill hazards for roads. Create a map of all the roads based on the infiltration capacity of the geology, using appropriate symbols to indicate hazard. Capture your map.
3. The use of a road is another factor in evaluating spill hazards. Create a new field in the roads feature class with a hazard rating of 3 for primary roads, 2 for secondary roads, and 1 for primitive roads. Create a map and capture it.
4. Now create new field for a hazard index based on both infiltration and use, adding them together. What is the range of values for the index? Create a map of the roads based on the hazard index. Capture the map.
5. Rangeland can cause significant impacts on surface water quality. Using the lulc and wsheds2b feature classes, create a table showing the area of rangeland in each watershed. (Include both herbaceous and mixed rangeland categories.)
6. Areas that are within 300 meters of both streams and primitive roads are the most popular places for fishing. Create a map showing these areas. Capture your map.
7. The fishing areas in #6 should be restricted to areas within the national forest (OWNER = â€˜NFSâ€™ in the vegetation feature class). Create a revised map showing the public access fishing areas in green and the private fishing areas in red. Capture your map.
8. You need a feature class that shows polygons based only on infiltration and only within the wshds2b area. Symbolize this layer based on infiltration. Capture your map.
9. The Forest Service is concerned about septic systems contaminating the Madison Limestone. Create a map showing private land (OWNER = PVT in the Vegetation layer) on the Madison. Capture the map.
10. The Forest Service is considering adopting a policy to not cut timber within 200 meters of a
primary road (TYPE = P). Assuming that cutting timber includes all SSTAGE96 LIKE â€˜4*â€™, determine the total area in square kilometers lost to harvesting if this policy were adopted. Capture a map showing the off-limits areas.