company overview for capital one financial corporation
Company Overview for Capital one financial corporation
For this assignment, write a 5â€“10 page report on a bank holding company (BHC). Your report will focus on this firm’s operations.
- Select a company in the top 25 of the largest bank holding companies (BHCs).
- Research the company’s performance.
- Once the bank has been determined to be registered as a financial holding company (FHC), determine how the GLB act appears to have affected the bank’s organization.
- Compare the bank with similar organizations, focusing on bank management best practices.
Bank Holding Companies
Begin by researching the Internet for the largest financial holding companies in the U.S. Choose a bank holding company that is in the top 25.
- Visit the Yahoo Finance Web site, linked in Resources. In the Get Quotes box, enter the stock symbol of your chosen company. This will give you an opportunity to search for information. If your company is not found, you will have to choose another of the largest 25 companies.
- Your search results will give you access to EDGAR, Recent News, and Related Links. Explore these areas to gather information on your chosen company.
- Click on the Profile link on the left hand side and you will get a brief overview of the firm’s operations.
- Click on the SEC Filings link and download the company’s latest 10-k and 10-Q. The 10-k will provide a wealth of information on the services offered by the bank as well as detailed financial information.
- Next, click on the Industry link and then select an industry of interest to you from the drop-down menu. This will produce information that will help you in completing the Company Performance section below.
Access the Yahoo! Finance Web site, which contains information highlighting the performance of both leaders and laggards in the banking industry.
- Type in the ticker symbol of a bank holding company, for example BAC is the ticker symbol for Bank of America. Yahoo! will then create a page filled with information about your selected company.
- On the left hand side click on the Industry link. This will take you to a new page. Scroll down to View Leaders & Laggards, and click on this link.
- You will then see a list of the leaders and laggards categorized by Market Capitalization, Price Performance, P/E Ratios, and other ratios. See if your chosen BHC has changed its ranking.
Registry of Financial Holding Companies (FHC)
As of 1999, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) act allowed banks to extend their nonbank financial services, particularly insurance and investment banking services. They can achieve this by utilizing the financial holding company model of the bank subsidiaries model. Go to the Federal Reserve’s list of financial holding companies (linked in the Resources) to determine whether your banking company has registered as a financial holding company (FHC). Include in your report how the GLB act appears to have affected your bank’s organization.
When your research is complete, write your report taking into account the all of the information you have obtained.
Inferences for the Industry
Compare the bank holding company you selected with other BHCs. Highlight activities and strategies that could be considered for bank management theory best practices, providing support from relevant sources.
When complete, title your report, A Company Overview, and submit it as an attachment in the assignment area.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.