Using the information from the case study below, discuss the following issues from the perspective of an APN role:
Standards of care â€“ what were the standards of care that were violated? Who was responsible for the violations?
In your role as an educator, administrator, or practitioner, what risk management steps needs to be taken before or after the incident to alleviate the issue?
Page length should be 3-4 pages exclusive of cover page and references.
Support your paper with a minimum of three scholarly references.
Case Study: Malpractice Action Brought by Yolanda Pinellas
Yolanda Pinellas is a 21-year-old female student studying to be a music conductor. She was admitted for chemotherapy. The medication Mitomycin was administered by intravenous infusion through an infusion pump.
During the evening shift the infusion pump began to beep. The RN found that the IV was dislodged and discontinued the infusion, notified the physician and provided care to the infusion site. The patient testified that a nurse came in and pressed some buttons and the pump stopped beeping. She was groggy and not sure who the nurse was or what was done. The documentation in the medical record indicates that there was an infiltration to the IV.
Two weeks after the event, the patient developed necrosis of the hand and required multiple surgical procedures, skin grafting, and reconstruction. She had permanent loss of function and deformity in her third, fourth, and fifth fingers. The patient is alleging that because of this, she is no longer able to perform as a musical conductor.
The risk manager had noted when doing chart reviews over the last 3 months prior to this incident that there were issues of short staffing and that many nurses were working double shifts, evenings, and nights then coming back and working the evening shift. The risk manager also noted a pattern of using float nurses to several units.
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary;
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors; and
- review APA formatting and citation information found in the Writing Center, online, or elsewhere in the course.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.)
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th edition formatting and citation style.