double-spaced, 1â€™ margins, 10-12 point Times New Roman or Helvetica font (APA style-no abstract needed).
Use one of the theories listed below to conceptualize a character from a film/TV series listed below.
Theories you may use: Psychodynamic, Cognitive, Gestalt, Client-Centered, Feminist
Films/series to choose from: As Good As It Gets, Red Dragon, Groundhog Day, House of Cards, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, The Soloist, Orange is the New Black, Veep, The Wrestler, Mr. Robot, The Walking Dead, Godless, Fresh Off the Boat, Futurama, Handmaid’s Tale, Batman (Other Superhero movies acceptable)
You will be treating this character as if they are a real person whom you have been able to observe, NOT as a character in a movie. You will need to identify the character and theory you will be using as part of your introductory paragraph.
Your goal is to use the theory and its concepts, terms, etc. to synthesize a picture of the cognitive, behavioral, emotional, and interpersonal style of the character. Include, as relevant, the common points of a therapeutic case conceptualization listed below:
- Show your understanding of the theoryâ€™s concepts by applying them to your character.
- Do not neglect your interpretation of how the client came to be who he/she is from the perspective of a particular theory.
DO NOT DIAGNOSE THIS CHARACTER, POINTS WILL BE TAKEN OFF. THE FOCUS IS ON THE CONCEPTUALIZATION, NOT A DIAGNOSIS NOR TREATMENT.
Your Case Conceptualization should include all of the following (label your sections/paragraphs):
- Demographic Information: age, gender, race, housing situation, physical appearance, manner of dress, mental status.
- Presenting problem (main problem for the character in the film or series)
- apply your theory to explain the problem
- what triggered the problem
- how long has the problem endured
- has this been a problem before? What was it like in the past?
- Any relevant history that your theory would include
- Interpersonal Style
- what are the nature of their relationships? explain using your theory
- are there tendencies toward polarities (all or nothing) in the way they engage in their world/life? explain using your chosen theory
- Environmental factors
- psychosocial stressors (financial, legal, academic, etc)
- sources of support
- Treatment recommendation and prognosis applying your chosen theory
- How would you use your chosen theory to help this person? Be specific in naming techniques and problems you’d apply them to and the expected outcome.
- What are the challenges this person might come across that prevents them from getting treatment or renders treatment ineffective?
Rubric is attached below. WRITER CAN CHOSE THE MOVIE AND THEORY HE/SHE WANTS.