This assignment has two goals: 1) have students increase their understanding of ethical issues related to the use of information technology through research, and 2) learn to correctly use the tools and techniques within Word to format a research paper, including use of available References and citation tools. These skills will be valuable throughout a studentâ€™s academic career. The paper will require a title page, NO abstract, three to five full pages of content with incorporation of a minimum of 3 external resources from credible sources and a Works Cited/References page. Wikipedia and similar general information sites, blogs or discussion groups are not considered creditable sources for a research project. No more than 10% of the paper may be in the form of a direct citation from an external source.
A list of topics from which students can choose is provided below.
Topics for Research Paper
The focus of the paper should be on the following:
1. how information technology supports or makes possible biometrics and its various implementations, and potential ethical and privacy issues related to the use of biometrics.
2. how information technology supports or makes possible the development of artificial intelligence (AI) and intelligent agents (such as Siri, Cortana, etc.) and potential ethical and privacy issues related to AI.
3. how information technology supports or makes possible the development of robots as intelligent as humans, smart machines and the IoT, What potential benefits and risks can/will robots introduce?
4. how information technology supports or makes possible genome-based treatments for curing diseases, and potential ethical and privacy issues that might result from use of such treatments.
5. how information technology impacts family, eldercare, and parenting issues, and potential ethical and privacy issues introduced by the use of information technology and information systems in this area
6. how information technology has enhanced the use of computer-assisted education in the elementary school classroom, and the possible positive and negative impacts this enhancement provides.
7. issues facing the IT Manager or Security professional (e.g., privacy, ownership, control, accuracy, and security) in an environment where information technology is constantly expanding and changing.
8. how information technology plays a role in the era of Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, WikiLeaks, et and the impact on defense information systems
9. how information technology plays a role in the rise (and fall) of cryptocurrency and the positive and negatives of switching to the bitcoin environment.
If there is another topic that addresses ethical issues as related to information technology that is of special interest to you but one that is not in the list above, request permission from your instructor before selecting this alternate topic.