D1: Crime and Criminal Behavior: A Perspective
Your Module 1 lecture examines how studying criminal theories helps us in explain what â€œcriminalityâ€ is or â€œcriminal behavior.â€ Chapters 1, 13, and 16 are the assigned chapters for this week.
Chapter 13 in your Lilly, Cullen, & Ball book discusses the Rational Choice Theory and the factors that motivate an offender to commit a crime.
For this discussion thread assignment, students should choose ONE of the statements below in purple and then answer question #1 concerning a motive for stealing.
*Please number your answers #1, #2.
â€œI wanted the Item(s) but didn’t want to pay for it.â€
â€œIt was due to peer pressure.â€
â€œI steal for a living.â€
â€œI needed the item(s) and could not afford it.â€
â€œI donâ€™t know why. It was just an impulse.â€
â€œI was under the influence of Drugs or alcohol.â€
â€œI enjoy the thrill/excitement/rush/danger.â€
â€œI canâ€™t help myself. Itâ€™s compulsive.â€
â€œI was under a lot of stress.â€
1. Which of the above statements do you feel is a true example of stealing or theft? Which of the statements (if any) do you feel might be a legitimate motivation or reason to steal? Explain your answer.
For this discussion thread assignment, students should discuss the statements below in green and then answer question #2 concerning what constitutes â€œtheft.â€
Where do we draw the line as to what is stealing?
- Eating a grape in the grocery store to see if it tastes â€œripeâ€ before purchasing the entire bunch. The grapes are weighed after you get to the register!
- A pre-priced container of strawberries is $4.50 but it looks only 2/3rd full so the customer takes some from another box to fill up their container.
- You are at an All-you-can-eat meal in a restaurant (Olive Garden) and have been ordering unlimited soup, salad and bread sticks for your meal. 5 minutes before you are going to leave, you purposely ask for another bowl of salad and another basket of bread sticks â€“ knowing that you are not going to eat it but doing this so you can ask for a take-out box to take it home.
2. In your opinion, are any or all of these a form of â€œstealingâ€ and why or why not? Explain your answer.
(8 complete sentences are required for the main posting; 4 complete sentences are required for a response to another student.)
Remember – this counts as your initial Discussion posting and is due on Thursday evening no later than 11:59 pm EST. You must also respond back to two of your classmates no later than Sunday at 11:59 pm EST.