Search “scholar.google.com” for a company or school that has defined the role of end- users in the creation of a contingency plan. Discuss why it is (or is not) important to include end users in the process of creating the contingency plan? What are the possible pitfalls of end user inclusion?
Respond to at least 2 of your colleagues’ postings
â€¢ Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence or research.
â€¢ Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
â€¢ Offer and support an alternative perspective using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Walden Library.
â€¢ Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
â€¢ Offer and support an alternative perspective using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Campbellsville University Library
â€¢ Make suggestions based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
â€¢ Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.
Last time feedback:-
Please note that a good portion of your initial response is from other sources. It is best to paraphrase the information. The idea here is that you will synthesize the content and write in your own words. The recommendation is to paraphrase, and avoid a verbatim approach.
A contingency plan is a series of steps or actions designed to help an organization respond effectively to a future event or situation that may or has a probability to happen.
A contingency plan is also referred to as Plan B as it can be used as an alternative for action if the expected results fail to materialize. Contingency planning is a part of disaster recovery, risk management and business continuity.
The seven-steps outlined for an IT contingency plan in the NIST 800-34 Rev. 1 publication are:
1. Develop the contingency planning policy statement: A formal policy proves to be a bible for the parties involved to develop an effective contingency plan.
2. Conduct the business impact analysis: The analysis of the Business impact enables to identify, prioritize information systems and parts that are critical to supporting the organizationâ€™s business functions.
3. Identify preventive controls: Steps undertaken to minimize the effects of system disruptions can increase system availability and reduce contingency life cycle costs.
4. Create contingency strategies: Recovery strategies ensure that the system will be recovered quickly and effectively following a disruption.
5. Develop an information system contingency plan. The contingency plan must include a detailed guidance and procedure for restoring a damaged system unique to the systemâ€™s security impact level and recovery requirements.
6. Ensure plan testing, training and exercises. Testing helps in validating recovery capabilities, while on the other hand training helps in making the recovery personnel for plan activation and exercising the plan identifies planning gaps and the activities improve plan effectiveness and overall organization preparedness.
7. Ensure plan maintenance. The plan should be updated regularly to remain current with system enhancements and organizational changes.
I work for a retail store chain, Weis markets and we work on an ERP tool that helps take care of the companyâ€™s HR systems. We house important information like bank account, SSN and other vital personal payroll information. Hence while preparing a contingency plan it is very important to include the business representatives as it is for them that we are developing the plan as the main goal of the plan is to ensure continuous service delivery to the business to ensure the goals are achieved. The business users are the ones who drive the organization towards its goals.
It is extremely important for including the business user while developing the contingency plan as they would help to determine what all are the key factors from the application and the database poit of view that will ensure continuous business delivery and progress, faster recovery in case of a disaster.
Role of End Users in the Contingency Plan
Contingency plan plays an important role in business or on organizations according to the situation; the Contingency plan helps to get back to normal operation when an the unexpected situation takes place. Mostly Contingency plan used as a disaster recovery plan for an expected situation. It is also used as an alternative for an original plan if original plan fails then contingency plan will come into the action and if the result of the situation is not what we expected then that impact may affect the future business conditions. Naturally, the contingency plan may vary from one business to other business. For me, I feel the biggest contingency was staying diversified in my company’s field (Khamooshi, 2009).
Importance of Creating this Contingency Plan
It is very important to create a contingency plan and to involve end-user in it because when the situation comes or issue rises then everyone needs to involve in it to solve the issue, but the people or staff who involves in plan needs to get trained. If we are creating or implementing any new plan or project under the contingency, it must be useful to all. So business continuity focuses then on prevention or payout through key man or life insurance. For other stuff, it is usually worth thinking of things that go wrong and having a rough plan of how to cope. The person who is creating and developing the plan has to convey the importance of that plan (Clark, 2010).
Possible Pitfalls of End User Inclusion
Some positions or roles are absolutely critical. There are so many factors now I take into consideration that in my earlier years I would have never considered. Doing the work and learning job skills is really just a small part of running the business. I believe the best contingency is only possible with oneâ€™s eyes and ears wide open. When we include the end users they maybe lack knowledge towards the internal thing of the processor situation, this may change the result of the plan. Because the contingency plan is designed to get back the potentiality to run the business or organization in a proper or normal condition (Hick, 2009).