Assignment: Case Study Analysis
2 page assignment excluding title , table of content and references.
If we have data, letâ€™s look at data. If all we have are opinions, letâ€™s go with mine.
â€”Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Epidemiology and medicine plays a crucial role in the formation of public health policy. In fact, it could be argued that epidemiology and medicine is the most important and influential discipline, as it forces policymakers and advocacy groups to look past their own opinions and toward solutions grounded in scientific evidence. With peopleâ€™s lives and the general welfare at stake, it is vital that evidence and information generated by this field is accurate, unbiased, and thoroughly tested.
In this Assignment, you analyze the epidemiological and medical evidence for one of the following case study topics: clean water legislation and mosquito control, obesity, breast cancer screening, or medical transportation.
To prepare for this case study analysis, review the case studies presented in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources and select one to further investigate for your case study analysis. Then, conduct research to locate at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed resources from the Walden Library that will further support your case study analysis.
By Day 7
Of this week, submit a 2-page case study analysis that synthesizes the following:
* Title page and Table of Contents.
* Write the problem statement for the public health issue identified in the case study.
* In one paragraph, provide background to the public health issue identified in the case study.
* In one paragraph, provide an overview of current governmental policy associated with this public health issue.
* From the perspective of the epidemiological and medical discipline, explain the following:
o The appropriateness of the epidemiology used in the case study to examine this public health issue. Is there an alternative way for epidemiology to provide perspective on this issue?
o How the epidemiological and medical results provides evidence for this public health issue.
o The merits and limitations in identifying the social determinants of this public health issue.
* In one paragraph, describe intervention(s) currently in place to address this public health issue.
* In one paragraph, propose an alternative intervention to address this public health issue.
* In one paragraph, conclude your analysis by summarizing the key points and takeaways.
* APA reference page.
Be sure to reference at least three current scholarly articles throughout your paper.
Bhattacharya, D. (2013). Public health policy: Issues, theories, and advocacy. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
* Chapter 20, â€œLetters to the Editor: A Primerâ€ (pp. 467â€“474)
Review the following case study options and select one to further investigate:
* Chapter 7, â€œClean Water Legislation and Mosquito Controlâ€ (pp. 201â€“212)
* Chapter 10, â€œOverweight and Obesityâ€ (pp. 265â€“284)
* Chapter 11, â€œBreast Cancer Screeningâ€ (pp. 285â€“294)
* Chapter 12, â€œMedical Transportation: Local Research Focusâ€ (pp. 295â€“306)
APHA link is https://www.apha.org/policies-and-advocacy/advocac…
Bombard, Y., & Miller, F. A. (2012). Reply to Rossâ€™s commentary: Reproductive benefit through newborn screening: preferences, policy and ethics. European Journal of Human Genetics, 20(5), 486â€“487.
Janssen, L., & Brosseau, L. (2011). Letter to the editor and author’s reply… Brosseau L.M.: Fit testing respirators for public health medical emergencies. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Hygiene. 7:628â€“632 (2010). Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 8(2), D15â€“D17.
Khan, O. A., Liu, K., Lichtveld, M., Bancroft, E. A., & de Camargo Jr, K. (2012). Synergism of science and social justice. American Journal of Public Health, 102(3), 388â€“389.
Wander, H. J., Kels, C. G., & Kels, L. H. (2013). Letters to the editor. Military Medicine, 178(6),